Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What if #4: What if caffeine was outlawed?

I was sipping on my second Redbull of the day and thought to myself, "is this really affecting me more than I realize?" The things I have heard doctors and health enthusiasts say about coffee, energy drinks, energy boosters, etc. have neverhad much of an effect on my opinion about caffeine. I started drinking coffee when I was about six years old, and have loved it ever since. As I got older, the urge to give myself an energy boost came more frequently. It's almost like a mental urge. If I know I am drinking something with caffeine, it seems like my brain automatically wakes up. There have even been moments when I get more drowsy after drinking coffee or a Redbull. That's what leads me to wonder how the caffeine is actually supposed to affect me. I have definitely gained a dependency on caffeine, which is not going to be good in the long run, but hey-what can you do? So, if caffeine was outlawed, it would most likely be beneficial to everyone with the same problem I have. It would definitely decrease the amount of heart attacks each year in America. People would probably become more relaxed instead of being giddy and wired off of their morning cup of coffee. I know that, like me, most coffee-drinkers consume at least 2-3 cups in the morning. If you're a more intense coffee-drinker, another 1-2 cups throughout they day. Redbull is a necessity for my daily functioning process. Speaking for most of the American college population, Redbull is very important for studying. College students would protest if caffeine was actually outlawed, and I would be right there with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment