Sunday, March 21, 2010

What if #7: What if the Memphis Police Department went on strike?

I'm not really sure what could possibly happen to provoke the Memphis Police to go on strike, but if they did our city would be vulnerable to absolutely anything. As much as they take advantage of their authority, Memphis would be in a desperate state without our police force. I was dealing with a traffic ticket at 201 Poplar the other day; and as I was standing in the endless line of traffic violators, I began to think about how many police it takes to send all of these people to court. It was exhausting to see so many people in court that day. The conversations I overheard were not necessarily pleasing to my ears, either. After standing in a line for 45 minutes to get in the courtroom, I finally entered as they were alphabetically calling people up to to talk to the judge. This process was another grueling half hour or more of my life. Arguments filled the air as I witnessed each person attempt to get away with a stop sign violation, excessive speeding, or any other normal traffic offense. Ridiculus excuses were made that day. However, I left with a dismissed ticket– going 5 mph over in a 40 mph speed zone. Pleased with my dissmissal, I left that courtroom wondering, "If all of the cops decided to strike, all of the people in here would be in the streets reaking havoc all over the city." Yes, it is a slightly exaggerated thought that will never come true,but it is one to imagine being the cause of a true disaster in our city. Memphis, ranked in the top five most dangerous cities, without our police force? THAT'S an unsettling thought.

1 comment:

  1. Well the difference they make now is very small, in my opinion. It takes forever for them to respond to an emergency. I think that police officers should not be so easily hired. I think that stricter qualifications should be placed on the job.

    ReplyDelete